Your wedding - legal marriage documents
Your wedding~what about documents?


Proof of your identity and date and place of birth: 

• Please bring some photo ID with you to our first meeting (e.g. a driver’s licence).

• Before the day of your marriage you must produce: 

    ¤ your original birth certificate (not certified or other copy)  OR

   ¤ if you cannot (despite your best efforts) obtain your birth certificate, your original current passport (if it shows date and place of your birth).  

  In some circumstances, you may have to make a Statutory Declaration regarding your birth.
 All documents must be in the English language or accompanied by a translation by an accredited translator (see Useful links). 
Proof that you are legally free to marry: 

• If either of you has been previously married, before the date of your wedding you must produce either: 

  ¤ if divorced – your original Certificate of Divorce (not a certified or other copy)
  ¤ if widowed – the original Death Certificate (not a certified or other copy) for your deceased spouse. 

Notice of Intended Marriage:

• You must lodge this with your celebrant at least one calendar month before the date of your wedding and no more than 18 months in advance of your wedding date.
 Please talk to me as soon as possible if there is less than one month before your wedding.  A prescribed authority may approve a shorter notice time in some limited circumstances.

• You can download the NOIM here and I am happy to help you complete it at our first meeting.

• As your celebrant, I am responsible for lodging the Notice of Intended Marriage and marriage registration information with the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriage on your behalf.

Marriage Certificate:

• I will provide you with an official Certificate of Marriage on the day of your wedding.

• While this is evidence of your marriage it is not an identity document and will not meet the identity requirements of many government agencies (e.g. Passport Office) and financial institutions.

• Once your marriage has been registered, you can apply to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages for a registered marriage certificate for such purposes. 

Heartlift Ceremonies~Christine Cuskelly, Celebrant:       Ceremonies to lift your heart and spirit

Contact Me
Please submit the form below and I will get back to you within 24 hours!

Social Media
Bookmark and Share

Follow us on Facebook